There are so many things that compete for our attention – work, finances, chores – that inevitably we lose sight of all the precious moments and wondrous beauty that fill our lives on a daily basis. So, as I snuggle in to dream about plum fairies, I recall with great joy some of my favorite winter blessings.
Photo: Corin@ 2008
The Beauty of Winter
- The glistening of icicles delicately dangling from the rooftops.
- The peaceful beauty of new-fallen snow.
- The view of little ones enveloped in cuddly, footed jammies.
- The crackling fire flickering its soft, brilliant light in the fireplace.
- The tracks left in the snow by wildlife reminding us that we share this special place and time with other creatures.
Photo: Tiffany Washko
The Joy of the Cold
- Watching the kids play… and play… and play… in the snow until we force them to come in to warm themselves with delicious hot cocoa and mini-marshmallows.
- The warmth of my favorite mug warming my hands while sipping steaming hot cocoa.
- Cuddling on the couch with my husband to watch a movie after our children are asleep.
- The crispness in the air and the crunch of snow under your feet as you traverse through a world where the ice and snow have changed the landscape and life seems new.
- Snuggling with the little ones while discovering new worlds and revisiting beloved ones through the pages of marvelous books.
- The warm kitchen with the scrumptious smell of brownies baking in the oven wafting through the house.
Photo: Michael Wade
- The excuse that it is simply too cold to go outside allowing me to pursue my indoor pleasures while enjoying the beauty of the outdoors through the windows sheltering me from the frigid temperatures outside.
- My familiar, old, flannel nightgown protecting me from the chill of the cold, dark night.
- Thick, soft, warm socks caressing my feet and keeping my tootsies toasty.
- Being curled up in a cozy cocoon of my favorite throw while reading a great book.
Some of these pleasures are available year-round while others are truly wintry treats. Even when our funds are scant, our hearts can be overflowing with joy and love as we delight in the wonders and beauty of the season without spending any money.